The February edition of random networking questions.
1. A flat network can be best described as...
A) Physically flat
B) One collision domain
C) One broadcast domain
D) One VLAN
2. Where does routing occur within the DoD TCP/IP reference model?
3. What layer of the OSI model provides the physical transmission of data, handles error notifications, network topology and flow control?
B) Data Link
4. Bridges can only have one spanning tree instance, while switches can have many.
5. A Cisco router is booting and has just completed the POST process. It is now ready to find and load an IOS image. What function does the router perform next?
A. It checks the configuration register.
B. It attempts to boot from a TFTP server.
C. It loads the first image file in flash memory.
D. It inspects the configuration file in NVRAM for boot instructions.
6. A CIDR value of /30 equates to what subnet mask?
7. What is the maximum size of an Ethernet packet when the frames have ISL tagging?(Include the size of headers and CRC)
A) 64 bytes
B) 1500 bytes
C) 1518 bytes
D) 1522 bytes
E) 1548 bytes
8. Which item represents the standard IP ACL?
A. access-list 110 permit ip any any
B. access-list 50 deny 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.255
C. access list 101 deny tcp any host 192.168.1.1
D. access-list 2500 deny tcp any host 192.168.1.1 eq 22
9. Which two commands correctly verify whether port security has been configured on port FastEthernet 0/12 on a switch? (Choose two.)
A. SW1#show port-secure interface FastEthernet 0/12
B. SW1#show switchport port-secure interface FastEthernet 0/12
C. SW1#show running-config
D. SW1#show port-security interface FastEthernet 0/12
E. SW1#show switchport port-security interface FastEthernet 0/12
10. Which protocol can cause overload on a CPU of a managed device?
C. IP SLA
1. Correct Answer C
A switched network can be described as a flat network because broadcasts are transmitted to every device.
2. Correct Answer B
The picture below shows the comparison between TCP/IP model & OSI model. Notice that
the Internet Layer of TCP/IP is equivalent to the Network Layer which is responsible for
3. Correct Answer B
4. Correct Answer A
Bridges are software based and can only have one spanning-tree instance per bridge, while switches are hardware based and can have many.
5. Correct Answer A
Default (normal) Boot Sequence
Power on Router - Router does POST - Bootstrap starts IOS load - Check configuration
register to see what mode the router should boot up in (usually 0x2102 to read startupconfig
in NVRAM / or 0x2142 to start in "setup-mode") - check the startup-config file in
NVRAM for boot-system commands - load IOS from Flash.
6. Correct Answer D
7. Correct Answer E
Cisco's proprietary VLAN tagging (ISL) has a maximum frame size of 1548 bytes.
IEEE 802.1q VLAN tagging has a maximum frame size of 1522 bytes.
8. Correct Answer B
The standard access lists are ranged from 1 to 99 and from 1300 to 1999 so only access
list 50 is a standard access list.
9. Correct Answers C and D
We can verify whether port security has been configured by using the “show runningconfig”
or “show port-security interface” for more detail. An example of the output of “show
port-security interface” command is shown below:
10. Correct Answer D
Sometimes, messages like this might appear in the router console:
%SNMP-3-CPUHOG: Processing [chars] of [chars]
They mean that the SNMP agent on the device has taken too much time to process a
How did you go? very random selection huh :-)
let me know if you found any errors in the comments, more coming .
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”